Sunday, May 9, 2010

5. Upgrading to other OS - Ubuntu UNR

Salam All,
As promised, this is the 1st update of my blog.. and its all about upgrading to other OS. well here goes....
I bought an Acer Aspire one Model Number ZG5, which has no HDD just an 8GB ram & comes pre-installed with Linpus Linux (free linux distribution, I was actually quite happy with the linpus. until i decided to crack it, but soon i forgot the Admin password and made upgrading the required software fruitless. I was Stuck!!
A friend of mine reformatted this netbook and installed Win XP pro, which made it more useless. Start-up took almost 5 minutes and surfing each page took almost 1 minutes to load.
I finally took the leap and upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 (UNR - Ubuntu netbook remix). It was worth the upgrade. and i am loving every usage .. just Slight lag and configuration is as simple as using Windows.

If u have an old Laptop, loves to experiment and just want to surf the net with it and maybe the occasional Word or Spreadsheet, this distro is for you.
Check out the requirement here http://releases.ubuntu.com/karmic/

Here is a brief history of Linux
this is a link found in wikipidia regarding ubuntu

Below are screen shots of the desktop.
This is my favorites tab... (its organized by TABs for easy navigation)







For your office needs


Your internet needs.. Which i installed Google chrome as an additional browser


Linux is not only limited to Ubuntu.. But there are lots of option u can try if u wanna. I find this to be the best for Novice users like me.

Until my next post .. Wassalam

No comments: